….Is a place, where
An organic culture
defines and makes its home
- as its defensible and public space
- for its communities of participants
serving as a “hive” for its internal relationships
- usually as inclusive and equitable interconnections
- (everyone to everyone)
serving as a “hub” for its external relationships
- with its local niche of ecological partners
- with its open environment
- (exploratory connections)
- with and networks of remote exclusive connections
- (one to one)
As its “Niche” in the world and “living space”.
… for example
A “body” is a commons for its cells
- But bodies are organized differently than their cells, each needing to be part of a different culture
A “town” is a commons for its villagers
- But every town develops from its unique circumstance, so the usual patterns associated with the words are really questions about the individual thing
A “nest” is a commons for its family or swarm
- Living things need to sleep, and make secure places where they can “tune out” at night, to reemerge refreshed.
- and so too the organizations of a commons, that come to a rest at night, to awake refreshed by the reflections of rest.
The Earth is a commons for life
The “Culture” occupying the Commons
…is << a different thing>>
the organization that develops
- the physical interrelationships of its parts
- the animated, eventful and energy using physical parts and processes
- the virtual relationships
- as artifacts of the living physical relationships, left as virtual parts in the life patterns of its organization
with the “common language” we develop, for their internal and external relationships,
- a “virtual organization” for their “physical” organization”
- with the natural “meanings of the words” in direct relationship with the “organization of the things” the words refer to;
- As a “direct relationship” between words and things, developing along with the organization of the culture by
- accumulating life experience with
- the things of the Commons and Nature,
as people explore LIVING
- by discovering and developing their physical relationships with the webs of the commons and of nature
- and their understanding of the “true meanings” of words and “meanings of life” the words refer to
- as the connection of the physical things and experiences of life,
- both making words into connected parts of the natural world and serving to ground and enrich the meanings of language
Related Tweet’s on the nature of “sleep” and living things waking “re-freshed” by it :
1 That living things “rest to refresh” is a matter of “house-keeping” in homes of the living cultures residing there. http://synapse9.com/signals/2013/09/10/a-commons-is/
2 The need to rest and refresh, and start a “new day” is the same with ALL of nature, and the life of daily activity, the home and office too.
3 A day starts with a cleared mind and rearranged mental furniture.. with reaffirmed convictions and worries, delusions too of course.
4 The economy, following rules of science…never gets to rest, but churns ever harder to expand and expand, forced to grow in unhealthy ways.
5 The pain of recessions are a sign of it, forced “re-tooling without a break”, and very painful! But science doesn’t know what sleep is for!